One of my favourite whole wheat pasta recipes... If you love pistachios, this one's for you! 🍝
250g Wholewheat Spaghetti
Sea salt flakes for pasta water
50g unsalted butter, softened or melted
2 cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
A small slosh of virgin olive oil
100g shelled pistachios
30g best available quality Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Boil a pot of salted water with a drop of oil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions, checking it 2 minutes or so before it's supposed to be done to get the desired tenderness. When you strain the pasta, be sure to reserve a cup of the cooking liquid to use in the sauce later.
2. In a food processor, combine the pistachios, garlic, parmesan cheese, a small slosh of extra virgin olive oil and butter until combined, forming a green, buttery paste. You may find it necessary to scrape the sides of the food processor bowl a few times before blitzing again until you get the desired texture as the buttery mixture may stick to the sides.
3. Scrape the pistachio paste out of the food processor bowl and add to a large pan or casserole that will hold everything on med-low heat. Add 4 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water and continue to heat the mixture, stirring constantly until you have a creamy, fragrant, green, buttery sauce
4. Add the strained pasta to the sauce pan, still on the heat and pour in the remaining pasta cooking water. Work the pasta through the dense sauce while still on the heat until every strand is coated.
5. Serve hot in warmed pasta bowls sprinkled with freshly grated black pepper & sea salt flakes.