EASY VEGAN LASAGNA
1 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
8 oz tempeh*, finely chopped (ensure gluten-free friendly as needed)
2 Tbsp coconut aminos (or sub tamari or vegan worcestershire sauce, but slightly reduce amount)
1/2 tsp fennel seed (optional)
1/4 tsp red pepper flake (optional)
2 25-oz jars favorite marinara sauce (or DIY*) CHEESE
2 ¼ cups raw macadamia nuts (or raw cashews, soaked for
1 hour in hot water, then drained)
3 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast (plus more to taste)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/3 scant tsp sea salt
1/3 - 3/4 cup water
1 10-oz box vegan-friendly lasagna noodles (gluten-free as needed*) FOR SERVING (optional)
CheeseFresh herbs (such as Basil or Parsley)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Set out a large baking dish (9x13 inch or similar size) and lightly grease.
2. Begin by preparing/warming your sauce. Heat a large pot or rimmed 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and tempeh (or mushrooms — we used a mixture of both) and begin sautéing, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
3. Add coconut aminos (or worcestershire sauce), fennel (optional), and red pepper flake (optional) and continue sautéing for another 5 minutes. The mixture should be golden brown and well cooked.
4. In the meantime, if using noodles that require boiling, bring a large pot of water to a boil (otherwise skip this step). Once boiling, add a healthy pinch of salt and your lasagna noodles (or other pasta shape). Cook according to package instructions to achieve an al dente texture — tender with a little bite. Then drain and set aside. Optional: Drizzle pasta with a little oil to prevent sticking.
5. To the tempeh and/or mushrooms: Add your marinara sauce and stir to combine. Cook on low for about 5 minutes to marry the flavors. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding salt to taste or red pepper flake for heat. Turn off heat and set aside.
6. Next, make your "cheese." Add macadamia nuts (or sub soaked cashews) to a food processor or a high-speed blender along with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and sea salt and mix/blend into a loose paste.