8 Fast Facts:
1. It was his mother who first taught him about fashion, including how to cut and make clothes, as she was a dressmaker.
2. Versace opened his first boutique in Milan’s Via della Spiga in 1978.
Versace boutique, Milan, Lombardy by Bahar
3. Within 10 years, Versace had built a fashion empire worth more than $800 million.
4. Known for his glamorous and flamboyant designs, Versace also used a range of materials in his collections including fused leather and rubber, and aluminium mesh.
5. Versace was murdered on 15 July 1997. He was shot as he returned to his South Beach home in Miami, Florida, from his morning walk – normally an assistant would fetch the morning papers but he wanted to do so himself on that particular day. The prime suspect was 27-year-old Andrew Cunanan, who was found dead in a Miami Beach boathouse 8 days later.
6. His fashion designs have been showcased around the world in various museums, including London’s Royal College of Art, Japan’s Kobe City Museum, and Chicago’s National Field Museum.
7. His classic Signature range was launched in 1991, and his Home Signature in 1993.
8. His collections were highly regarded, and he won a number of awards for his collections including an American Fashion Oscar in 1993 and 4 L’Occhio d’Oro awards.
#versace #fashion #moda #gianniversace #donatellaversace #pictures #aesthetic